Social Services

childrens lawyer in romford

Child Care Law Solicitors

Milner Elledge Solicitors have an expert team  with over 30 years Family Law experience of representing Children and Parents in Care Proceedings in East London and Essex particularly in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and in Romford and Havering .

As Solicitors for parents and children our role is to challenge Social Services to make sure that this is the right decision for the child. Putting the rights and interests of the child first is our  priority.

Where an allegation of Child Abuse has been made and if there is a risk to life or a likelihood of serious harm a police protection order or an Emergency Protection Order may be sought. Please contact us immediately if this has happened to you.Legal Aid is available for an Emergency Protection Order or a Care Order or a Supervision Order.

If there is no immediate risk then an assessment is carried out. A Care Plan could be prepared such as monitoring by a health visitor.

We can  if you have been asked to attend a Child Protection Conference through Legal Help . A Child Protection Plan may then be drawn up to make sure the child is safe from harm and to prevent any future harm.

 If Legal Proceedings are started, don’t panic  please contact us immediately .The court must be satisfied that the threshold criteria is met.  Section 31(2) of the Children Act 1989 states that a court can only make a Care Order or Supervision Order if it is satisfied that the child concerned is suffering or likely to suffer significant harm. The harm or likelihood of harm is attributable to the care given to the child or likely to be given to him if the order were not made, not being what it would be reasonable to expect a parent to give him; or the child being beyond parental control.

If Social Services Child Protection Team proceed with an application for a Care Order the Social Worker must prepare a Care Plan and only once this is approved by the court can a Full Care Order be made. There is a big difference between an interim care order and  the full care order. The key point is that the interim order is usually made to allow Social Services to share parental responsibility in order for it to carry out assessments. Whether this is necessary is something we can advise you about or whether there should be no order.